A sizable population of the planet is online – browsing, searching and making purchasing decisions, all at lightning speed. If you want even a fraction of these people to discover your business or brand, then you need to get comfy with SEO or Search Engine Optimisation. Strong and consistent SEO will help your business or brand climb in rankings and make its way to the first page of search results.
So, what is SEO?
Simply put, SEO is a technique used to improve the ranking of your website in search engine results, like Google. When done right, it not only increases traffic to your website from various search engines, it will also ensure you are discovered by the right people, thereby improving the quality of your traffic too. This is achieved by optimising text, keywords, images, and other content on your website which in turn will improve the website’s ranking on popular search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo. In layman’s terms, if your company is selling pet food and someone searches for the term ‘cat food’ on Google, then SEO (done properly) will help your website end up higher on the search result page.
Here are 5 ways SEO can help your business:
- Improve sales: If you want a marketing strategy that has a definite pay off, then invest in good SEO. This will increase traffic to your website, leading to more potential customers checking out your business, thereby increasing sales. Moreover, good SEO will ensure only the right audience finds your website thus helping your customer base grow organically. The cherry on the cake? Along with being efficient, SEO is a cheap marketing investment.
- Improves user experience: Good SEO can help business owners create fast, smooth, and user-friendly websites. A good website that is fast, clean, easy to navigate, and has interesting and relevant content will keep users engaged for longer. This will increase page views and reduce the bounce rate. Search engines love serving up high-quality websites to their users, thus a positive user experience will help improve the website’s rankings.
- Improves conversion rates: Highly targeted SEO will put your website high on the results page for people searching for your product or service. This means your business is being presented to users actively seeking to make a purchase or researching to make a purchase in the future. SEO will lead the potential customers to your business, and with the right sales pitch, you can easily convert this lead into a sale.
- Builds credibility and brand awareness: As we said before, good SEO will help list your website higher on the search results page. Users who were searching for your product or service are more likely to trust the search engine to display credible businesses that meet the search criteria. The potential customer is more likely to trust and pick you over a brand whose online presence is poor.
- Cheap, long-term marketing strategy: SEO is a cost-effective marketing strategy whose pay off will last for years. This is especially beneficial for small businesses who don’t want to spend a bomb on online marketing. A sound SEO strategy will attract only relevant users, making the company’s customer base to grow organically.
Quality SEO can greatly improve a brand’s online presence, connecting it with the relevant audience, increasing the website’s digital footprint and keeping the company ahead of the competition. For small and medium businesses especially, good SEO can prove to be a sound investment.